Do you ever find yourself in a season of waiting? A season where life just seems to be an endless loop of the same thing – get up, go to work, go home to bed. Where you wonder what life is actually for? That’s where I’m at the moment.
It’s that time of the year again. The half way mark, where I give you all a run down of how the year was up to now. A lot has happened this year, but everything pales in comparison to what Mark and I are going through as I type.
If you’re Australian, or anyone who lives in a country where Cricket dominates your sports news, you will have heard of the ball tampering scandal which occurred in the third Test between South Africa and Australia. I wasn’t going to comment on what happened anywhere on the inter webs, but the constant bombardment of the incident in Australian media is something I do want to comment on.
The following vignette is something I wrote in my journal to help me process some thoughts that were going through my mind. I find it helpful to write like I’m having a conversation with one of my characters when I’m trying to think things through.
Daniel is Daniel McTavish an Irish Mafia hitman who repented of his sins, gave up the Mafia life and is now a youth pastor.
This is not a story per se, so I thought it better to share in my blog.
The song lyrics is a hymn called Trust and Obey written originally by John H Sammis. Continue reading “The First of March”
This morning, I sat down and listened to this album that was released at the beginning of the year. This wasn’t my first listen through; however, I wanted to write down what thoughts I had for each track as I listened, and then share them here on my blog. I wrote my thoughts out in my journal and so some of these thoughts are disjointed and are stream of thought. This is not a formal review, just a collection of thoughts from my mind invoked by the music.
Here is the tracklist of Good News – Rend Collective – along with links to the songs on YouTube
- Life Is Beautiful – https://youtu.be/Yh9oH27LvNA
- I Will Be Undignified – https://youtu.be/CkFGG14JJ-c
- Rescuer (Good News) – https://youtu.be/sAg7rn7fH3Q
- Counting Every Blessing – https://youtu.be/82b0Tiy0ykk
- Nailed to the Cross – https://youtu.be/OmBXy4sLqjM
- Hymn of the Ages – https://youtu.be/OmBXy4sLqjM
- True North – https://youtu.be/G7HTchrZnZA
- Resurrection Day – https://youtu.be/tc7OcNceuVw
- No Outsiders – https://youtu.be/vDwKPUumIHo
- Weep With Me – https://youtu.be/GAGqvq4N_zQ
- Weep With Me (Reprise) – https://youtu.be/KC8nim-g6ec
- Marching On (feat. Hillsong Young & Free) – https://youtu.be/nsTHv-atxDc
- Yahweh – https://youtu.be/qd7R1H79Vok
- Counting Every Blessing (Ukulele Session) – https://youtu.be/9QFeJ0h288o
- Christ Lives in Me – https://youtu.be/UYCJ-UdpJNY
And now for my thoughts
The title is self explanatory; however, I’ve never really sat down and looked at what my all time favourite albums are. I think this is due to the fact that what I deem a favourite is quite fluid. My mood often dictates what I enjoy at any given time. But, I think I can definitely narrow it down now. At least for this season of my life.
The criteria I used to narrow down this list, include:
- Enjoying/Appreciating every track on the album – not wanting to skip any.
- Amount of time I’ve listened to the album (Though this is not prescriptive, as some I’ve only listened through a couple of times, but they just have a certain something about them; or they’re a relatively new album that I’ve only started listening to.)
- The artist/band/group
So, without further ado. My Top 20 albums, ever. (The top 10 is in order, the rest not in any particular order.)
- Still Not Getting Any – Simple Plan
- Diamonds – Hawk Nelson
- Good News – Rend Collective
- The Greatest Showman – Original Soundtrack
- Pictures Not Taken – Paul Morrison
- Divide – Ed Sheeran
- This is Not a Test – TobyMac
- The Promise – Plus One
- Greetings From California – The Madden Brothers
- Avenged Sevenfold – Avenged Sevenfold
- Storm Front – Billy Joel
- No Other Name – Hillsong Worship
- Taking One For the Team – Simple Plan
- Hail to the King – Avenged Sevenfold
- Highlights of the Phantom of the Opera – Andrew Lloyd Webber
- The Best of Human Nature – Human Nature
- Let’s Talk About Love – Celine Dion
- Get Your Heart On! – Simple Plan
- Get Your Heart On! The Second Coming – Simple Plan
- Simple Plan, Live in Anaheim – Simple Plan
And, there you go. My Top 20 albums. Oh, and anyone who knows me will not be surprised by the fact that Simple Plan features four times. Haha. They are my all time favourite band.
Sometimes plans don’t go the way we want them to. Sometimes a whole year doesn’t go the way you expect it to. 2017 was that year for us, for my husband and I. We had such hopes, a transplant for him, possibly add to the family… However, 2017 had other ideas for us. Continue reading “Best laid plans…”
- God – Psalm 107:1 Give thanks to the Lord for He is good and His love endures forever.
- My husband – no matter the trials we’ve been through, I am grateful to God for Him.
- My family – I am so blessed to have been adopted. That’s all I need to say.
- My friends – I can count them on two hands…love them all.
- My Church family – the beautiful people at the individual Churches I have been a part of…
- My team at work – I am thankful to God for placing me in a work environment that makes my home life easier to navigate.
- Music – without music in my life…it would be a dull life.
- A roof over my head
- Books – a good book is great medicine
- Nature – There is something calming about being out amongst natural life.
What are some things you are grateful for?
AND SOME THOUGHTS ON EACH BOOK
These are the books that I read this year. I challenged myself at the beginning of the year to read 12 books. Looks like I surpassed that challenge and some.
We are in the final quarter of 2017. On the home-stretch, nearing the finishing line, and all those other cliched phrases to describe events coming to an end. I haven’t shared my thoughts on here for some time, so thought I would come to you with ten thoughts that are percolating in my mind.